Linzer Cookies are delicious treats any time of year. These fanciful cookies are especially beautiful on Christmas cookie platters. What is a Linzer Cookie?
First, a Linzertorte is a type of cake that originated in Linz, Austria. This delicious European specialty cake. The dough is made with ground almonds, hazelnuts, or a combination of both. A lattice pattern is piped over a filling that is traditionally raspberry or apricot jam.
Linzer Cookies are a variation on the Linzertorte theme.
- 2 ½ inch cookie cutters, any shape you like
- Smaller cookie cutters to cut out the centres of the top of each Linzer cookie
- ¾ cup almonds
- 1 1 /3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter soft, and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- Raspberry jam
- Confectioners’ sugar
- In a food processor fitted with a blade, pulse the almonds until fine to make almond flour.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the almond flour, all-purpose flour, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar, until creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg yolk.
- Cut the vanilla bean in half. Scrap out one side of the podinto the bowl.
- Beat for one minute.
- Add the flour/almondmixture to the butter/sugar mixture
- Beat on low speed until just combined.
- Divide the dough intotwo round discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and let it warm up slightlyon the countertop.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out to1/8 inch thick.
- Cut out an equal number of cookies.
- For top cookies cut out a centre piece with a smallercutter.
- Place on the cookie tray and into the refrigerator for 30minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then remove the cookies onto a wirerack.
How to Assemble Linzer Cookies:
- Layer with jam and sprinkle with icing sugar.
Pastry Chef Tips & Tricks
For the Professional Touch
Gently sprinkle the top of each cookie with confectioners’ sugar. To assemble, heat the jam up. Pipe or spoon the warm jam onto the bottom cookie layer. Carefully place the top cookie on the jam to create your Linzer Cookie.
Getting an Early Start on Christmas Baking
Think about making these sandwich cookies ahead of time. Simply bake, cool, wrap, and freeze. When you are ready to use thaw. Then, follow the instructions for How to Assemble.
Alternatively, you can make the dough, divide it into two discs, and wrap it. Next, freeze it in the freezer for up to one month. To thaw out the dough, simply place it in the refrigerator. Next, follow the steps for rolling, cutting, baking, and assembling your Linzer Cookies.
Variations of on this Christmas Cookie
Try our recipe for Spiced LInzer Cookies.