Tiramisu Coffee Rum Crêpes
Tiramisu Coffee Rum Crêpes is a dessert combination where Italy meets France! Here, we take a classic tiramisu recipe and place it in a crepe. The crepe however is jazzed up with both coffee and rum– right in the batter!
Serve this for a special brunch get-together. Add a scoop of our homemade gelato like Belgian Chocolate, Espresso, Tiramisu, or Hazelnut.
We bet your guests won’t stop talking about it for weeks!
Need help making the perfect crêpes ? Do you want to learn tips and techniques? Read Ask A Pastry Chef, our questions and answer section at the bottom of this recipe.
Happy crêpe making!
Tiramisu Coffee Rum Crêpes
For the Coffee Rum Crêpe Batter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted unsalted
- oil for the pan
- 3 large eggs separated
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup melted dark chocolate
- PGI Gelato any flavour you like!
- Canadian maple syrup if desired
To Make the Coffee Rum Crêpes
- In a bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- Then, whisk the eggs into the centre.
- Whisk in milk gradually.
- Add coffee and rum.
- Mix in butter and let stand for one hour.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium high heat.
- Add a little oil.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of dough.
- Tilt the pan in all directions to cover the bottom.
- Cook on both sides. Let cool.
To Make the Filling
- Place egg yolks and water in a small saucepan over low heat
- Stir constantly until thick, coats the back of spoon and reaches 160 F on a thermometer. Place over ice to cool.
- In another bowl combine brown sugar, vanilla extract, and egg yolks.
- Beat in mascarpone and set aside.
- In a double boiler place egg whites, white sugar, and cream of tartar.
- Whisk constantly until thermometer reaches 160 F.
- Pour into a bowl. With an electric mixer, whip to soft peaks.
- Fold gently into mascarpone.
- Fill the crepes with filling
- Once plated, drizzle each crêpes with dark chocolate.
- Serve with gelato.
ASK A PASTRY CHEF
How can I make the perfect crêpe?
First make sure the pan is hot, before adding the batter. Drop a small amount in to test and see if it sizzles.
Next, add the batter. The first crêpe is always the test crêpe. Don’t expect it to be beautiful!
Cook the crêpe until the edges brown. Then, use a small palette knife or spatula to lift under and flip over the crepe. Cook the other side until golden.
Can I make the batter ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the batter the day before. Then, when you are ready to make the crepes, bring the batter to room temperature before making up.
How do I store cooked crêpes?
Yes! Cut squares of waxed paper. Layer one crepe at a time between each square. Place on plastic and refrigerate. These will last a few days.
Or freeze the crepes for up to two months.
Subscribe to our newsletter for recipes, contests, special events, and more!
There is always something fun happening at Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana our Italian pastry shop located in the heart of Ottawa’s Little Italy.